A Backyard Beach Boardwalk For The Joseph Family From Concrete Craft And Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
For a second family, Concrete Craft®, parent company Home Franchise Concepts (HFC), and sister brands Budget Blinds ®, Tailored Living®, and AdvantaClean® participated again with HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to completely renovate a home in Carson, California, for the Joseph family. Their outdated 1943 ranch-style home became a very modern open floor plan home with a California coast beach theme throughout, opening a new world of gracious living for them.
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition transforms lives
The 2020 relaunch of the iconic Extreme Makeover: Home Edition TV series introduced a new host, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), and an innovative design team, including designers Carrie Locklyn and Breegan Jane, and carpenter Darren Keefe who each bring their own individual styles to the home renovations. The extreme home makeovers change the lives of deserving families who give of themselves to their communities but now could use a helping hand. Carrie explains their design philosophy to arrive at the ideal new homes: “The first thing we look at is what they need. To aid the lives of these hometown heroes and to help their families, not to mention their contribution toward their communities is our primary objective.”
For the Joseph family, pictured above, this meant complete renovation, inside and out, maximizing the existing home:
- Outside of the home received a stylish modern color, a new front porch, gabled front door, stone walkway, new garage door, and a resurfaced driveway from Concrete Craft that made it look like new.
- The huge, basically ignored, backyard was transformed into a staycation resort with decorative concrete resurfacing by Concrete Craft.
- The sunken living room floor was raised 11 inches to integrate the kitchen, dining room, and living room into one great room.
- Convert the master bedroom to a Zen-spa love nest (Breegan’s happy goal.)
- Install Tailored Living closet organization systems in the bedroom closets.
- Give the boys bedrooms that are suitable for their ages and personalities; put the twins into the bigger bedroom.
- Increase energy efficiency with custom window coverings from Budget Blinds.
- Garage received custom storage cabinets, epoxy flooring, workbench, and automated overhead storage from Tailored Living and went from jumbled to functional space, including a new washer and dryer and media/game space.
- Banish moisture and allergens for complete home safety with one years’ air duct cleaning and preventative maintenance from AdvantaClean.
Held together by love and duct tape
Deon and Tosha have been married for 22 years and with their three children, are involved in reaching out to the homeless people on Skid Row in Los Angeles. Deon is a police officer, known as “The Angel Cop” of Skid Row where he passes out hygiene packs that his family assembles in their garage. He hands out these packets as he encourages people with big hugs and helps with everything from food and clothing to housing. Raised in a home where many children were fostered for 41 years of his parents’ 47-year marriage, this giving lifestyle is deeply ingrained. At home, he’s Mr. Patch-it versus Mr. Fix-it, but his duct tape and glue method of home repair had finally reached crisis levels with moisture and mold causing allergies for his son, Xavier. As a thank you from the community, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition stepped in to give them the home they deserve, a modern resort-like beach house. Show host, Jesse, describes his vision for the home, “We want the house to be like the Malibu coast, but without the coastline, traffic, and celebrities.”
Home Franchise Concepts’ franchise brands make a difference
For Concrete Craft and its sister brands, it was exciting to be part of such a life-changing event as this extreme home renovation. Franchise owners, Home Office associates, installers, and vendor manufacturing partners contributed time, product, and expertise to help make the home transformation a reality for this awesome family. The close proximity to Hawthorne (for the earlier Fifita family makeover) brought the same Concrete Craft franchise owners to the renovation for the Joseph family: Mark Steward of Scottsdale, AZ, Mark Sisco of Colorado Springs, CO, Lafayette Mecham of Nashville, TN, and Nick and Kelsey Bradshaw of North Denver, CO.
The design focus was a bright and natural beach theme with coastal colors, organic materials, and natural textures. The beach is Tosha’s favorite place and she and Deon first met at Venice Beach, so there’s a bit of romance in the design choice. Extending the beach theme into the backyard created the ideal indoor/outdoor living situation, greatly expanding the functional living space. The backyard had a lush lawn, lots of space, and a worn-out concrete patio with a four-chair patio set. Not very appealing, so the space went unused. Concrete Craft revived the patio with a decorative concrete overlay and a 16” reclaimed timber concrete stamp for the look of an old-fashioned wood boardwalk. MasterProTMconcrete stains Augusta Gold with Oxford Brown gave the authentic look of weathered wood to the textured stamp pattern.
- The transformed patio created a clean, beautiful living space for a real boardwalk experience with a Tiki bar, abundant seating, umbrella shade, and a fire pit circle on the lawn.
- The other end of the yard, right off the master bedroom, had a hot tub installed with patio chairs and landscaping to create a slightly secluded haven.
- The easy-care, durable stained concrete finish will not chip, crack, or peel, and is resistant to moisture, stains, UV damage, mold, and mildew for years of carefree enjoyment.
Move. That. Bus!
The family stayed with neighbors while all the work was underway and only returned when the house was complete and hidden behind the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition bus, awaiting the “Move. That. Bus!” moment when the family finally sees their new home. For the Josephs, this home hit all the right spots.
- “This is so perfect! It’s open, inviting, and says family.” –Deon
- “Are you kidding me? Look at my kitchen, look at my stove!” –Tosha
- “A home my wife can be proud of and safety for my kids.” –Deon
Jonathan Thiessen, HFC’s Chief Development Officer, made a special presentation to the family when everyone had gravitated to the backyard: “We have a program at Home Franchise Concepts called Heart & Home and it’s designed to give back to those that do great things and give back in their community. So, on behalf of HFC, we would like to give you $25,000 to continue with that.”
Here are some memorable moments from the Joseph’s home reveal show:
- Ty Pennington, host of the original Extreme Makeover series, designed and created a custom Tiki bar countertop longboard (surfboard) for real island flair on the patio.
- Greg, a neighbor, and friend, brought in a group from work to assemble 200+ hygiene packs for Deon to have for his ministry to the homeless.
- View the complete Joseph’s home makeover in before-and-after photos: Transforming a Basic Ranch Into a Modern Beach Dream House.
Expand your living space with outdoor enhancements
Concrete Craft can help make your outdoor spaces more inviting for spending time outside when indoors begins to feel crowded. A rejuvenated patio or pool deck can offer options for extreme summer fun and relaxation for your family. Contact us today or go online to www.concretecraft.com to find the Concrete Craft location nearest you and request a free in-home or virtual consultation.* From the safety and comfort of your own home, we can provide this service remotely on your mobile phone or through a web conference and do it all virtually*—design, order, and set an appointment to install when the time is right.
Catch new episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Sunday night at 8p|7c on HGTVas well as watch previous episodes at https://watch.hgtv.com/tv-shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.