Reduce The Misery Of Springtime Allergies With Easy-Care Concrete Floors
Got allergies? If you or a family member suffers from allergies or asthma, you know how the advent of Spring is greeted with mixed emotions. As the warmer temperatures draw out tiny new buds and tender green leaves, allergy suffers reach for a box of Kleenex and Benadryl caps before heading outside to enjoy the sunshine. But the outdoors is not the only allergies catalyst, indoor conditions can contribute to heightened allergy and asthma problems this time of year:
- Bedrooms harbor more dust mites than any other room
- Plain old house dust is the main culprit for setting off indoor allergies (emedicinehealth.com)
- Mold spores grow in hidden moisture spots in bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms
There are definite measures you can take to reduce harmful allergens in your home, starting with decorative concrete floors from Concrete Craft®, including polished concrete, stained concrete, stamped concrete and resurfaced concrete overlays that can help to reduce all of the above for more sneeze-free comfort.
Stained concrete’s sealed, no-stick finish eliminates dust buildup and resists moisture, so rooms stay cleaner
Easy-to-clean floors reduce harmful dust
Dust is the number one contributor to indoor allergens and your floors are the largest surface in the home that collects dust. Flooring that attracts and holds dust, like carpeting and rough surfaces on wood or grouted tiles, are harder and more time-consuming to clean, which can result in ignored (and very dusty) floors. Nothing sticks to sealed concrete floors, so dust bunnies are quick to whisk away with a Swiffer® or a microfiber dust mop so it’s easy to maintain clean floors in just minutes as opposed to 20 minutes with a vacuum cleaner. Whether you choose stained concrete or stamped concrete with faux wood or stone patterns, the seamless, continuous surface repels dust and dirt in corners and along baseboards. You don’t have to move furniture to do a thorough cleaning, a dust mop lets you get under and behind pieces to keep your floors dust and debris free.
Even busy rooms can stay dust-free with concrete floors that let you spend more time having fun than cleaning
- Replace carpet and carpet padding that can harbor high levels of dust mites, pet dander, mold and mildew with allergen-free decorative concrete and polished concrete floors.
- Add washable area rugs where softness is needed.
- The sealed surface resists food and drink spills as well as accidents by any furry friends, so a damp cloth makes quick work of any problem.
Keep moisture worries off your floors
Basement floors are well-known for moisture issues, but other floors in your home can contribute to allergy flare-ups as well. Carpeting and any seamed flooring such as tile with grout lines, vinyl or wood flooring planks, and stick-on tiles can all collect moisture in the seams that can result in hidden moisture and mold. Moisture can be water, drink spills, and pet accidents which can also add an element of lingering smells. The growth of mold and bacteria can trigger sever reactions for allergy and asthma sufferers. Decorative concrete floors are water-resistant with finishes that resist spills and stains so nothing can penetrate below the surface to become a breeding ground for allergens of all kinds.
In rooms where humidity can be a problem, our MarbleKoatTM floor coating is a beautiful solution for allergen-free living
- Decorative concrete finishes inhibit mold and mildew growth in rooms where moisture can be a problem, like kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Enjoy the look of marble, tile, faux stone, and wood plank designs in decorative concrete floors that replicate the real materials but without the vulnerable connecting seams and grout.
- A new decorative concrete basement floor with a moisture barrier and industry-tough sealed surface is a great foundation to keep your whole home more moisture free.
Improve indoor air quality by eliminating allergens
Another way that decorative concrete floors contribute to a healthier environment is by helping to improve indoor air quality. First and foremost, there are no chemical emissions from our resurfacing products that are low-to-no VOC (volatile organic compounds), whereas most carpet is made from synthetic fibers that have been treated with chemicals that "outgas" into your home, releasing VOCs for months after installation. Hardwood, grout, and carpet flooring all require specialty products to clean them and remove stains, but decorative concrete floors only require occasional wet mopping with a neutral-pH mild cleaner like Dawn dish soap. The less chemicals introduced into your home, the cleaner air quality you will enjoy.
No limits on style to have a healthier home, decorative concrete can replicate other flooring styles with custom designs for every taste
Additional steps to reduce allergy triggers
Taking preventive measures is an excellent way to keep your family safer and your home more allergen-free. Here are some suggestions for reducing and eliminating indoor allergens so everyone can breathe easier:
- Regular dusting and vacuuming remove the dust from shelves, window treatments, tabletops, picture frames, and knickknacks.
- Upholstered furniture and cushions should be vacuumed, and pillows and blankets can be “dusted” by a 20-minute, non-heat dryer tumble with organic, fragrance-free wool dryer balls.
- Replace dust-grabbing fabric window coverings with easy-to-clean wood window blinds and shutters. If you must have curtains, choose washable fabrics.
- Make bedrooms pet-free zones and protect mattresses, box springs and pillows with washable, allergy-proof removable covers. (Check Allergy Guard Direct for 100% cotton covers.)
- Brush and groom pets outside or in the garage, bathe pets as necessary, and keep all pet bedding clean.
- Open windows to let in fresh air and ventilate windowless rooms with exhaust fans that circulate to the outside.
- Replace air filters as recommended for your heating and cooling system, using filters with a high range MERV rating (12-13) for maximum filtration.
- Consider professional air duct cleaning, especially if your system is several years old, to ensure cleaner air and better efficiency from your HVAC system.
- An air purification system with HEPAfilters provides additional protection. Consult Consumer Reports’ Air Purifier Buying Guide for helpful information.
- Prevent mold by controlling moisture throughout your home. Dry off surfaces where water collects, like shower walls and around bathtubs and kitchen sinks.
- Check for leaks under sinks and cabinets and, if you suspect you have a mold problem, contact AdvantaClean for accurate mold testing, removal, and preventive solutions.
Decorative concrete floors offer more than just the health benefits of a more allergen-free home for you and your family. They add beauty and value to your home with durable flooring that is easy to maintain and engineered to last. Call 888-852-9244 or go to www.concretecraft.com to find the Concrete Craft location nearest you and request a free in-home or virtual* consultation to learn more.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations.