One of the most amazing and wonderful things about a
Concrete Craft® decorative concrete floor is how easy it is to maintain. Undoubtedly this was discussed when you had your floor, patio or driveway installed, but until you’re faced with cleaning it, you only know the joy in theory, not practice.
It’s absolutely true that the sealed surface creates a durable barrier to moisture, dust and dirt, meaning you’ll spend more time enjoying your floors and less time cleaning.
The beauty of stone
without the maintenance
Have you ever tried to sweep a real cobblestone or flagstone floor? It takes some muscle and numerous passes with a sturdy broom to clean the surface that stubbornly holds on to dust, dirt, and debris. Decorative concrete floors can look just like real stone but they are so much easier to
clean and maintain. The tough, continuous sealed surface has no grout lines or crevices to trap dirt.
Decorative concrete, including
resurfaced concrete overlays hand-cut to replicate real stone, brick, tile and wood plank, eliminates the need to stock heavy-duty equipment and harsh chemical cleaners. Your main tools will be a dust mop, a wet mop and a neutral-pH cleaner.
Dry Dust Mopping
Regular dry dust mopping will keep your floors clean and shining. Depending on foot traffic, number of pets or small children who live on the floors, this may be a daily routine, every few days, or once a week.
- Microfiber dust mops create static electricity to grab dust and dirt. You aren’t just pushing debris around; you’re removing it from the floor’s surface.
- Don’t spray the dust mop with cleaners or oils, these can create a very slick surface or dull the shine.
- Swiffers are great for cleaning concrete floors with disposable dry sweeper pads or washable microfiber covers.
- Industrial-size dust mops (18” to 36”) are ideal for driveways, patios, garages or very large areas to make quick work of dusting.
- Vacuuming is always a viable option.
Depending on use, wet mopping may be a weekly or monthly event. Undoubtedly a kitchen floor will need washing more often than a bedroom due to food and drink spills and constant use.
- Start with a clean, dust-free floor.
- Mix the cleaning solution according to manufacturer’s instruction and mop the entire floor in sections, rinsing the mop as you go.
- Depending on the cleaner, you may need to do an overall clear water rinse.
- Be sure there are no puddles of water remaining on the floor.
- Never use bleach, ammonia or harsh detergents.
- Only use neutral-pH cleaners like mild dish soap. If it says “mild, gentle or great for hands,” it should be safe to use. You can also shop for specifically neutral-pH products. These cleaners work effectively in hard water or soft water. For more information on cleaners:
Average pH Levels of Common Cleaning Supplies
Exterior decorative concrete like driveways, patios, walkways and pool decks can be safely washed with a medium bristle push broom for especially dirty surfaces, or pressure washed with a mild detergent to keep your outside surfaces looking like new.
General tips for
maintaining decorative concrete
While concrete is the toughest floor you can have, it is not indestructible. Heavily trafficked areas can show wear over time. With minimal care and regular maintenance you can keep your decorative concrete floors beautiful for years.
- Wipe up spills as soon as they happen, including oil and other car fluids from the driveway
- Protect entryway, kitchen, bathroom and laundry room floors with area rugs
- If the surface dulls over time, resealing every 18 to 24 months may be necessary
- Interior stained concrete floors can get added protection from a good floor wax
Decorative concrete can
revitalize your home
If you’re tired of your existing floors or the carpeting and tile need replacing, talk with the professionals at Concrete Craft about stained, stamped and resurfaced concrete floor options for your home or business. You may be surprised at all the design options you’ll have for upgrading your
floors with the look of natural stone like flagstone, cobblestone and slate, or wood plank, tile, brick and high-polish finishes like marble. You’ll find that low maintenance is just one of the many benefits of decorative concrete overlays.
- Replicates the look of natural stone for a fraction of the cost of real stone, especially for custom design or rare colors.
- Installs over existing floors with a micro-topping overlay, so there’s no need for demo and replacement of a damaged floor.
- Installation takes just a few days.
- The sealed surface resists moisture, allergens, mold, and bacteria for a cleaner, safer environment.
- Save on utility costs: interior concrete floors keep rooms cool in summer and warm in winter by holding temperature and slowly releasing heat or coolness.
Don’t wait! Call 866-813-3699 today or go online to
www.concretecraft.com to find the Concrete Craft location nearest you and request a FREE design consultation and estimate. You’ll be glad you did!